STUDENT VISA (Subclass 500)

This is the most appropriate visa for Studying in Australia. Sub class 500 is a new visa introduced on 1st July 2016 and is a lot more hassle-free and regulated than the previous sub classes.  

What you need to know:

  • This visa lets you work up to 40 hours per fortnight.
  • This visa provides extra points towards PR

The new student visa subclass 500 came in to effect on 1st of July 2016. 

How is this visa different from the previous framework?

Read Here:

What courses does this visa cover?

This visa covers all levels of courses: Certificate, Diploma, Advance diploma, Bachelors, Masters etc.

What type of student is this visa appropriate for?

This visa is appropriate for international students who fall under any of the following categories:
1. Applying for an Australian student visa for the first time.
2. Applying for subsequent visas.
3. Applying for joining a family member who is already in Australia with an immigration student visa.
This visa is fairly straight-forward and most suitable if the student has long-term plans of staying in Australia. Some beneficial features of this visa are:

1. You’re eligible to work up to 40 hours per fortnight. 
2. You're eligible for a 2 year work visa upon completion of your higher education course.
3. Provides extra points towards PR (permanent residency)
4. You may be eligible for Streamlined Visa Processing (features lesser paperwork and faster processing)- this reduces your evidentiary requirements thus making the process quicker easier. Click here for more information.

What are the GENERAL REQUIREMENTS for the visa?

The documentation requirement for each level is different. However, following are the general requirements that citizens from ALL countries need to abide by:

1. Genuine Temporary Entrant:

You need to provide a filled and signed GTE application form (which states that your main purpose of your stay in Australia is to receive education). This application form includes various questions like why have you chosen Australia? Why have you chosen that particular course? How will it help your future career? etc.

2. Confirmation of Enrollment:

A valid COE (confirmation of enrollment) from your education provider. You have to be enrolled into a full-time course which is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). An Electronic Confirmation of Enrollment (ECoE) needs to be provided when lodging the visa application.

ONSHORE visa application can be lodged solely on the basis of an Offer Letter. The CoE can be provided later however it must be provided before the decision is finalized.

3. Health Cover:

An Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) i.e. a health insurance for your entire duration of stay in Australia PLUS extra 2 months. Just like the CoE, this document can also be provided at a later stage after lodging you student visa application.

4. To meet the Australian health and character requirements.

5. You must not have any outstanding debts to the commonwealth bank of Australia.

6. You must ensure that you have adequate funds to support yourself during your studies (course fees, living costs, school costs and travel costs)- Explained under “Financial proof”

What are the SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS for the visa?

According to the new student visa framework, there are 2 types of Evidentiary Requirements:
1) Regular requirements
2) Streamlined Requirements
The type of requirements you will be asked for depends upon the country you’re from and the institute you chose to study in.

This can be checked on the immigration website by first choosing your country of origin and then choosing your education provider. See:

1) Identity Proof:

Copy of your passport(mandatory), national id card, birth certificate etc.

1) Financial Proof:

- Provide a declaration stating you have access to sufficient funds to cover your entire duration of study.
- Supply evidence (bank statements etc.) that you have sufficient funds for the first 12 months of stay in Australia and that the available funds are from an acceptable source (bank loan, sponsorship, funded by family etc.)
- Supply evidence that if any individual is providing funds, he/she has a regular income (AUD 60,000) sufficient to accumulate the cost of study (pay slips etc.)

4. English Proficiency proof:

Generally the requirement is to achieve a minimum overall band score of IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent) to meet the eligibility criteria of most courses. However this may vary according to the course/education provider selected. If this score is not achieved, the student can undertake ELICOS (for no more than 30 weeks) in order to bridge the gap.

5. Academic Documents:

Supply evidence of successful completion of secondary schooling upto year 12 (or equivalent) or year 11 plus a foundation course completed in Australia.

6. Employment history:

If there is a gap between your last qualification and the one you are currently lodging, you need to supply documents proving exactly what you were doing during this time. If you were working, you need to prove it by supplying documents like appointment letter, recommendation letter, payslips etc.

7. Other Documents:

These documents are applicable only to some cases but may be asked for:

  • Marriage Certificate
  • Change of name certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Birth Certificate
  • Parental consent (if student is under 18)
  • Migration agent for 956 (if applying through an agent)

You might be able to extend your stay in Australia for:

·       Further Study
·       Graduation
·       Holiday/Travel
·       Work
·       Migration.

Depending on the purpose of extension, you will either need to apply for a substantive visa or a bridging visa.
Read more about Bridging Visa- Click Here

Want to extend your stay in Australia?
We can make it possible (and super easy)!

We are always happy to help! :)

Need help getting a STUDENT VISA (Subclass 500)?

We’ll help you get there. Get in
touch for free advice.



We can get you there. Get in touch today.
Email all your questions on and we will get back to you ASAP.