Skilled Regional Provisional Subclass 491

This visa is a provisional 4 year visa which requires applicants to be sponsored by a state or territory government or relative. The visa does allow applicants to achieve permanent residency.

What you need to know:

  • Requires the applicant to be sponsored by a State or Territory Government.
  • The visa holder is required to live and work in regional area of Australia.
  • The visa transitions to permanent residency under subclass 191.

Who’s eligible for a Skilled Regional Provisional Visa?

  • To be eligible for the Skilled Regional Provisional Visa, the visa applicant must meet the required points test for the visa which is 65 points.
  • The points test is based on a number of factors including
  • Occupation
  • Work History
  • Education History
  • Previous study in Australia
  • English ability
  • State Sponsorship application
  • Age
  • You must be younger than 45 to apply for the Skilled Nominated Permanent Visa.
  • Pass a skilled assessment in an occupation that on the state or territory government occupation list.
  • Must be nominated by a state or territory government

What is the process for a Skilled Regional Provisional Visa?

  1. Determine the amount of points that your application will receive
  2. Complete an English test to ensure your English is at a competent level.
  3. Complete a skills assessment with the relevant skills assessment authority for your occupation.
  4. Complete an expressive of interest (EOI) and be sponsored by a relative living in a designated area or nominated by a State or Territory Government.
  5. Receive an invitation to apply from the Department of Immigration. The EOI allows the Government the ability to offer visas to the applicants with the highest number of points. In addition the EOI allows the government to priorities allocating visas to occupations, which are the highest in demand in Australia.
  6. Lodge the visa application to the Department of immigration within 60 days.

What does it mean to be nominated by a state or territory government?

  • Each State or Territory Government has their own short supply occupations list which is much broader than the Department of Immigration Occupation List. There may be specific requirements in terms of work experience, English language ability, financial capacity.
  • An applicant granted this subclass is required to live in the regional part of Australia if sponsored by a state or relative under which their nomination was approved.
  • The States of South Australia, Tasmania and Territories of Northern Territory and ACT are all considered regional including their capital cities. Other states such as NSW, Victoria, Western Australia and Queensland have regional areas within their states which are defined by postcodes; their capital cities are not considered regional.
  • Once you have lived in that state or territory for three years, you can apply for Permanent Residence under Subclass 191.

Where can I lodge a Skilled Regional Provisional Visa?

The Skilled Regional Provisional can be lodged in Australia or overseas. It is important to remember that if you lodge in Australia, the visa applicant must hold a substantive visa or a bridging visa A, B or C visa.

Can family members be included in the application?

Yes, family members can be included in the application:

  • Spouses, defacto partners and same sex partners.
  • Dependent children
  • Other dependent family members – including parents who live with you are financial dependent.

Who long is the visa valid for and are there any particular conditions?

  • The visa is a 5-year provisional visa. While in Australia you and your included family members can only live, work and study in an approved regional area.
  • The approved regional areas vary depending on whether you are sponsored by a relative or by a State or Territory Government:
  • Designated areas are wider than Regional or Low Population Growth areas - in particular the major cities of Melbourne, Canberra, and the Gold Coast are considered Designated Areas.

Benefits of hiring path migration for the Skilled Nominated Permanent Visa?

We can help you with

  • Obtaining a positive skills assessment
  • Determining which state or territory government requires your skills and apply for state sponsorship.
  • Develop a strategy to maximize your points score. As the visa is a competitive visa, the higher the points the better chance your application will be successful.
  • Determining which state or territory government requires your skills and apply for state sponsorship.
  • Lodging the visa and working with the Department of Immigration case-officer.
  • Ensuring there are no issues if you lodging on-shore in respect to the bridging visa.

Need help getting a Skilled Regional Provisional Subclass 491?

We’ll help you get there. Get in
touch for free advice.



We can help. Get in touch.