Medicare provides access to medical and hospital services for all Australian residentsand some categories of visitors to Australia.

Australia’s Health-Care System (RESIDENTS)

Australia’s government healthcare system is regarded as one of best in the world. Health and Education should be some of the main considerations when choosing a country to migrate with or raise a Family. Australia has a public health care system, commonly known as “Medicare” and it provides access to medical and hospital services for all Australian residents (Permanent Residents and Citizens) and some categories of visitors to Australia.

Medicare covers:

1) Free or subsidised treatment by health professionals such as doctors, specialists, GPs (general practitioners), and in some cases: dentists, and other allied health practitioners.

2) Free treatment and accommodation for public Medicare patients in public hospitals.

3) Subsidised Medicines in most cases.

4) If you are a private patient in a public or private hospital, typically about 75% of your fee will be reimbursed - this does not include hospital accommodation and items such as medicines etc. (more on this below

To register for Medicare you will need to register at a Medicare office. Generally, you should visit your local Medicare office and complete the relevant paperwork.

To view more information about Medicare please view their website:

Private Healthcare in Australia (NON RESIDENTS)

If you are not a permanent resident or Citizen and your country does not have reciprocal health care arrangements with Australia then you will be required to have private health insurance for your visa.

At Path Migration we have partnerships with Medibank and Bupa private health insurance providers- to procure the best price for our clients. If you would like to discuss using either of these providers please let us know and we will put you in touch with the local insurance agent.

What should you bring from home before you arrive?

It’s advisable to bring your family’s important medical records. This information can then be provided to your local doctor in Australia. In addition, it is critical to bring your children’s immunization records as this information is requested by child care centers and schools.

NOTE: This update or any previous updates on our website do not constitute "legal advice". It's advisable to call our office on +61 28815 58135 to seek professional advice from our MARA registered lawyers before acting on any information provided on this page.

Need help getting a visa?

We’ll help you get there. Get in touch for free advice.



Send your RESUME at for a FREE ASSESSMENT and advice on your options for migrating to Australia.
Book a Consultation by CLICKING HERE.
We are always happy to help! :)